Nicky Trangmar





1. How does the early years setting know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs or disabilities?


When children first start here I will assess their starting point in order to plan for their progress in line with the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). As part of my usual practice I monitor and make observations of children at play and at other times, and I carry out a development check called the 2 Year Progress Check and share this with parents. If these assessment highlight any concerns, or you feel your child is not progressing well we will have a chat and decide how best to support your child. I regularly share with parents a summary of progress in the Early Years Foundation Stage, and hold informal chats at the start of and end of each session.

I welcome parents sharing reports from health care professionals, such as health visitors, speech and language therapists in order that I can plan appropriately to meet children's needs. I can seek support and advice from the Early Years Advisory Teacher at West Sussex FIRST (Facilitating Inclusion through Reflection, Support and Training). Parents’ permission for First involvement is always sought.


2. How will early years setting staff support my child?


When your child starts here they will be offered introductory sessions when parents are invited to stay too. These sessions are intended to be a gentle introduction into the setting to get to know me, the other children and their new environment. You will be asked to complete a Child Information form and an All About Me profile about your child’s strengths and needs, and you will be able to discuss any concerns or requirements your child may have.

I am the key person for the children who attend, this means that I am always available to your child and ensure I support your child to reach their full potential. You will be invited to share your unique knowledge of your child and add regular comments in the daily diary and Learning Journal about the experiences your child has at home which will be incorporated into their learning here.


3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?


Children develop at their own rates, and in their own ways and have their own individual needs. I plan activities and experiences that will follow your child's interests and build on the skills they have. They will have a Learning Journal; this will contain written observations, photographs and samples of your child’s work to support assessment and planning to help your child progress to their next steps in learning. Parents contribute to the planning by letting me know about their child's new skills or new interests at home. I will make sure that the environment, routines and activities support your child’s needs.


4. How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?


I use observation during play and other activities and assess children's progress. I have a wide range of resources that your child can access which are age related and support developmental stages. I am also happy to suggest activities for you to do with your child at home. A child's developemental progress is contained in the child's Learning Journal which parents and children can see at any time. If a child is not making progress I would talk to the parents and seek advice from other professionals or the local Children's and Families Centre. Parents would be fully involved.

5. What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?


I support children's emotional well-being by ensuring I am always available to them. I provide a good role model by being kind, caring, polite and fair, and promote positive behaviour by being consistent and sensitive. I actively promote good health through a variety of methods, including healthy eating and exercise and sun safety, in a clean and safe environment. I hold an up to date Paediatric First Aid certificate and have Health and Safety training. I carry out daily safety checks, and regular Risk Assessments. House rules are in place to ensure the safety and comfort of everyone. Children are protected by clear Policies & procedures.


6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the early years setting?


I can seek supporrt through the West Sussex FIRST (Facilitating Inclusion through Reflection, Support and Training) or the Family Information Service for West Sussex. I have links with our local Children’s Centre and can refer parents to support which is available through there, for example drop in Speech and Language sessions, health visitors etc.


7. What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are having?


I regularly undertake training to improve my knowledge and I am happy to undertake any relevant training for specific children in my care. I am trained to Level 4 with a Certificate in the Early Years.


8. How will my child be included in activities outside the early years setting including trips?


Regular outings are planned in the local community and further afield (including the Magic Minders childminding group, library, parks etc). During the Summer holidays we plan as a group of childminders for trips further afield. When considering an outing I take into account how many children are present, their individual needs, and how I can transport the children (ie seats in car, pushchairs etc). Outings are risk assessed before undertaken.


9. How accessible is the early years setting environment? (Indoors and outdoors)


Nicky's Nippers is a house in the Salvington/Offington area. Access to the building is via a porch. The environment has been arranged to be as inclusive and accessible as practicably possible. Childcare takes place on the ground floor of the premises. There are toilet facilities on the ground floor. The kitchen is accessible via the lounge and hall. The Playroom is through an arch. Access to the garden is through the kitchen bifold doors and down one step onto the path and further grassed area.

10. How will the early years setting prepare and support my child to join the early years setting, transfer to a new setting / school?


Families are invited to attend introductory sessions once they have visited and decide they would like to send their child here. I gather as much information as possible to ensure a smooth transition and continue to engage with parents throughout their child's time here. When children move on to pre-school/nursery or school I work with the new setting and exchange useful information in the form of the Learning Journal to ensure a smooth transition.


11. How are the early years setting’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?


I provide funded early years education places for eligible 2 year olds, and 3 & 4 year olds.

I work with the family and professionals to identify and obtain any specialist equipment where required.


12. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?


I observe and assess children's progress and use other methods such as the 2 Year old Progress check. From these findings and in partnership with the parent I would seek further support via Early Childhood Services, FIRST or other agencies.


13. How are parents involved in the early years setting? How can I be involved?


Parents are involved in their child's learning from the start. I ask parents to tell me about their child's skills and interests, to contribute ideas and have regular verbal and written exchanges about their child's learning and development. I use Daily Diaries and produce regular Newsletters and have a Working with Parents in partnership Policy.


14. Who can I contact for further information?


I am available to discuss your child’s needs, progress or concerns you may have, face to face or by telephone if you would prefer on 01903 522774.

I have a web site https://www.nickysnippers.co.uk

The West Sussex Family Information Service, the Local Children’s Centre,Health Visitors, Speech and Language Therapists, Portage etc would be able to provide advice and information.

The Local Authority’s Local Offer can be found on the West Sussex County Council Family Information Service website. www.westsussex.gov.uk